President Trump brought his fight against national anthem-kneelers to the field of the NCAA championship football game in Atlanta on Monday night, standing and singing “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
Meanwhile, one Alabama player — identified as running back Bo Scarbrough — was heard yelling 'F— Trump' before the game, Sporting News reported, showing video of the team apparently walking off the field after pregame warmups.
Alabama RB Bo Scarbrough yells “F— Trump” before tonight’s title game. pic.twitter.com/RhuhRyNFHh
— Sporting News (@sportingnews) January 9, 2018
Trump was announced to a varied combination of cheers and jeers as he entered the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in a dark suit and red tie. Waving and smiling to the crowd of thousands, Trump walked onto the field to hear the Zac Brown Band sing the anthem.
With his right hand on his heart, Trump smiled and occasionally sang along with the band
Both the Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide stayed back in the locker room as the anthem played, which is common among college football teams. They stormed the field shortly afterwards.
Atlanta NAACP Statement:
Statement regarding President Trump’s visit to Atlanta Monday:
The Atlanta NAACP will not be officially participating in a protest outside at the game. Trump has made a terrible decision and is disrupting it with his presence. We respect those who choose to do so, and we fully expect some groups who will be protesting outside the game.
We will not let the President’s visit go without a response. If you are lucky enough to attend the game, we encourage you to bring a white towel to wave simulating a blizzard while the president is in the packed stadium. Trump supporters mockingly call the opposition snowflakes, but when we come together we create a mighty storm. We are presently working with a number of civil rights/social justice organizations and we will share additional plans as appropriate. We urge you to pay particular attention to our Twitter feed during the game. You can follow us @naacpatlanta #GoDawgs!!!
But Trump left the game before rapper Kendrick Lamar started his halftime performance nearby.
Plans for the president’s visit had been met with criticism from the NAACP.
Atlanta's NAACP chapter said on its Facebook page that fans inside the stadium for the College Football Playoff title should send Trump a message by waving white towels "simulating a blizzard."
Before you go, we’re calling on ALL of our patriotic readers to pick up one of these limited edition “I Proudly Stand For The National Anthem” shirts or hoodies
Boycott the NFL right now, get it: Here
- Alabama’s Game-Winning TD Play Set To Titanic Song Makes It Even More Epic
- Alabama Wins National Championship On Game-Winning TD Throw From Tua Tagovailoa
- Referees Miss Blatant Penalty On Alabama During Game-Tying TD Play In National Title Game
- Alabama RB Bo Scarborough Yells ‘F–k Trump’ Prior To Start of National Championship Game
- TRUMP DOESN’T KNOW THE WORDS TO THE ANTHEM??
- Titans Fan Predicted Marcus Mariota Would Throw A TD Pass To Himself Hours Before The Game
- We’re live with baby aardvark Winsol, his mom Ali & their care team!
- President Donald J. Trump’s schedule for Monday, January 8th
- Georgia Fan Rides Around With Huge TV On Hummer Showing Rose Bowl Win On Repeat